Altar of the Crucifixion at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem

Monday, March 9, 2015

Third Sunday of Lent


How do you get yourself to do something you need to do, but you just don’t want to do it? Sure, there is always good ol’ will-power where you just make yourself do it, but that doesn’t necessarily make it any easier. You still have to do those tasks, but no matter how good you are at ignoring them, they just never seem to go away.

These tasks I am talking about might be the household chores that no one likes to do. Maybe it’s those last few things on the “to-do” list that have managed to survive all your best attempts at procrastination. Perhaps it’s the least popular job at work. It may even involve having to deal with people you would rather not have to deal with. The tasks themselves might not be all that difficult or all that unpleasant, but we could probably think of a long list of things we would rather be doing than that. The point is they need to be done.

When I was growing up, one of my household chores was cleaning the toilets and sinks in the two bathrooms in my parent’s house. Now for the most part, I really didn’t mind doing this chore. In fact, sometimes it even felt good to know I was helping keep our house clean. However, one thing became very clear early on. I could be doing absolutely nothing at the time, but as soon as my parents told me to go clean the bathrooms or do my chores, all I could think of was about a hundred different things I would rather be doing than cleaning a toilet. I eventually figured out that the chore itself was not that bad, but I hated being told I had to do it. I found that it was actually much easier for me to do it if I took some initiative and actually chose to do the chore before I was told to do it. Somehow making my own choice of when I was doing it made all the difference in the world. I think it allowed me to take ownership of the job I was doing, rather than feeling like I was being forced to do it when my parents told me to.

That being said, my own human imperfections still got in the way. I would still forget to do my chores before doing the fun things that I wanted to do. My parents still had to remind me to do my chores sometimes. I still complained about having to do them and would think of my hundreds of things I would much rather be doing than scrubbing toilets and sinks. It was those times I could get it done without being told, without being forced into it that I felt like it was something I had chosen to do, and therefore, something I actually wanted to do.

As Catholics, it can be very easy to get bogged down in all the rules that we have to follow. We have all those rules that are in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. We have the hundreds of laws in the Code of Canon Law. We have liturgical law that tells us how we are to worship and pray. Within moral theology we have different morals and ethics we have to follow, and we even talk about a thing called “Natural Law”, which God established when He made the world and no human being can change. And of course, we have the Ten Commandments as they are listed out in our First Reading today. This Decalogue, as it is sometimes called, is really the basis for how God wants His people to live a morally good life. All the other laws that are in the Bible and all the other rules that the Church and civil authorities have established throughout history, all stem from these Ten Commandments. Instead of getting bogged down in all the many rules and laws we have today, it is good to start by looking at these first ten.

Some of the commandments are easier to follow than others. We know that it is wrong to kill; we know that it is wrong to commit adultery; and we know that it is wrong to steal. However, it is much easier to covet someone else’s goods. It’s easy to disrespect our parents when we disagree with what we are talking about. We would never dream of murdering a person, but it is easy to stay angry with a person over an argument. We don’t steal from a bank or shoplift at a store, but it can be easy to justify wasting time at work, thus stealing from work. However hard it might be to follow any of these Commandments, they all point back to the very first Commandment that God established and that we are all called to follow: “I the LORD am your God… you shall not have other gods besides me”. God goes on from there to elaborate: we are not to carve any idols for ourselves. God, we are told, is a jealous God, meaning that if we turn from Him and make other things in our life more important than Him, He is not going to be happy. He wants all our focus to be on Him. Isn’t that what all the Commandments and the laws and all the rules are all about? The LORD God is our God. We are to serve Him and honor Him and love Him for our whole lives.

When we sin, we make other things more important than God. We essentially make idols to replace our one true God. Jesus gives us a very profound image to reflect on about this when we read the story of the cleansing of the Temple today. Jesus comes to the Temple and sees all the money changers and all the people selling animals to be sacrificed in the Temple. In a sense all these people served a useful purpose at the Temple. People needed to exchange currencies and they needed to buy animals to sacrifice. Those individuals were also there to make a profit, however, and that is why Jesus takes offense. God is supposed to be the center of our lives, yet in the Temple (God’s own house, of all places) you have people who are more interested in taking advantage of others through monetary gain. So He turns the tables over and drives them out. “Stop making my Father’s house a marketplace!”

We know what we need to do. We know we must keep God first in our lives. It’s hard. We have many other things in our lives and we are tempted to make those things the most important. How do we get ourselves to do the things we need to do, when we don’t want to? God is telling us what to do with the Commandments, but we need to choose it for ourselves. We need to choose to make God first in our lives. Only then will we no longer worry about doing the right thing. Because by choosing God, how can we go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment