Altar of the Crucifixion at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/030514.cfm

I don't know about you, but the coming of Lent seems to fill me with fear and trepidation every year.  I know that part of it is not being sure what I am going to give up or do for Lent.  I hem and haw for several weeks, trying to figure out what will be a good challenge for me but not so hard that I'm setting myself up for failure.  I usually don't make the final decision until the night before or the morning of Ash Wednesday.  I also don't like the idea of entering into a time when I have to focus so much on my sins.  I'm not trying to vent about Lent, I'm just saying that I don't like Lent.

But there is really no good reason to fear or dislike Lent that much.  Lent is not meant to be something we fear or agonize over.  In reality, it is meant to bring us joy.  The penances of Lent are meant to help us grow in holiness.  Growing in holiness is meant to bring us closer to God.  Being closer to God brings us joy.

The readings for today help illustrate this misunderstanding we so often have about Lent.  As the prophet Joel talks about, it is not about literally rending our garments or making a big deal about how we are to do penance for our sins.  It is about seeking a closer relationship with God from our hearts.  So too, Jesus talks about all those who try to make a big show of the penances they are doing; either blowing their own horn for how pious they are, or whining about how tough all this stuff is.  That is not the point either.  The sacrifices and fasting and penances you do are between you and God.  Make Lent a time to get closer to God.  Then our joy will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment