Altar of the Crucifixion at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Eighth Sunday of Ordinary Time



It started out like any other day. I accompanied my mother to the grocery store. I was in elementary school and everything was going great in the world. This trip to the store was going just as well as any other trip. I don't quite remember what happened next. I think I found something that had caught my interest on a shelf somewhere. Perhaps it was a toy or perhaps it was a treat that I enjoyed. It might have been something shiny that was hanging somewhere. All I know is that I turned to show my mom this wondrous piece of treasure that I had just found, and that was when it happened: my mother was lost! I know. You might be saying to yourself, “Father, are you sure it wasn't actually you who had gotten lost?” Yes, I'm certain of this. I knew exactly where I was. It was my mom who had wondered off. She should have known that we were going down the aisle with all those interesting things in it that I would want to look at.

 But then the worrying began. Where did she go? I look up and down the aisle; she is no where to be seen. I go to the end of the aisle to see if I can see where she turned. Now this store wasn’t very large with just a few people walking around, but from my point of view it might as well have been ten football fields wide and filled with hundreds of people: I couldn’t see her anywhere. She was really lost this time.

 My mind began to play through the possible scenarios of what might happen to me. What if I don't find her? She wouldn't leave without me – would she? What if she kept going and didn't notice that I wasn't there until she got home? What if they lock up the store and leave me inside? I'll be done for. I could see my family talking years later. “Whatever happened to Joe? Oh. We lost him in the grocery store back in '85: never heard from him again. It was tragic, but then we got a dog”.

I was frantic. I needed to find my mother before she completely forgot about me. I began calling out for her, “MOM! MOM!” Of course, as you may have guessed, my Mom was just in the next aisle over. I for one was greatly relieved to see her again (the whole ordeal was all of twenty seconds). My mom was more than a little embarrassed that her son was yelling at the top his lungs in public. She had not forgotten about me at all, and obviously I made it out of the store without being locked in it forever.

As that story helped illustrate, I have always been a worrier. For as long as I can remember, I’ve tended to worry about things that many people do not give that much attention to. I am a master at making mountains out of molehills. I feel very blessed that as an adult, God has given me the grace to not worry or jump to conclusions as much as I used to. I truly believe that it was through the grace of the Sacrament of Holy Orders that I was able to get past so much of the worrying that I have done in my life. I still worry at times, but now I can get past worrying about the small things and place more of my trust in God.

I joked in my story about thinking that my own mother might forget about me. Sometimes my childhood imagination would get away from me and I would worry about silly things like that. But deep down, I always knew that my mother could never forget me. Just as our first reading from Isaiah tells us, a mother cannot forget about her child. There is such a connection between mother and child it is simply impossible. All the mothers here in the Church today will no doubt tell us the same thing. But even though our life experiences tell us this, we still sometimes worry in this life as if our Father in Heaven has forgotten about us. God tells us through the Prophet Isaiah, “Even should she forget, I will never forget you.” I think we all know this just as well as we know our own parents on earth could never forget us. Yet, when things get hard and stressful in our lives, we blame God, as if He has forgotten about us. We complain that He is the one that left us, when in reality we were the child who left the parent to go look at a shiny new toy in the store. I suppose it is because of our pride that we tend to want to blame others for our misfortunes. We might not necessarily blame God for causing bad things to happen to us, but many times we blame Him for leaving us when we needed Him most. Isn't that just as ridiculous? God will never forsake us.

This passage that we heard in the Gospel of Matthew has a parallel passage in the Gospel of Luke. Both are some of my favorite passages from Sacred Scripture. They are wonderful reminders for someone like me who tends to worry, that there is really no need to worry. “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear.” We then move on to more specific examples. First, Jesus gives us the image of the birds. In Luke's version, He talks about the ravens. Birds don't have to grow their food; they don't have to gather it into barns or containers. They don't have to prepare it to make it suitable for eating. Jesus even adds that we are more important than they are, and God still gives those friendly feathered friends of ours everything that they need.

Christ moves on to the wild flowers. Some translations refer to the lilies of the field. The point is all they do is grow. They don't have to work for their beautiful colors, they don't have to make clothes for themselves or buy them, but they are so beautiful that King Solomon in all his opulence couldn't compare to them. Now I personally love a beautiful flower garden in full bloom and I love seeing a field of wild flowers, but the truth is flowers are no more important than the grass and weeds that we cut and put in brush piles. Yet God gives them all they need. Will He not provide for us all the more?

It's easy for anybody to start worrying about things in life. In fact, I don’t think we will ever be completely free of all worry in this life. But God can help us through the worst of it. Trust in Him and do not worry. He’s closer than you might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment